FAQ

pulitzer-amsterdam-review-the-travelista-jess-gibson

Here are the most common questions I get asked by my readers. If you have another burning question that I haven’t answered please comment on this page and I will add it in for you.

Q. Are you a full time blogger?

A. Yes. I am self employed and split my time between blogging and social media consultancy. I used to be a Social Media Manager at a London PR agency, but in July 2016 I recently left that agency to manage my own clients directly. I now spend about 70% of my weeks working on my blog and the other 30% managing social channels for a handful of luxury travel clients. It feels great to be 100% in control of my time and my workload.

Q. How do you get to travel so often?

A. I collaborate with lots of different brands and sometimes these collaborations involve sending me away to a certain location around the world, mostly to experience a product or destination for myself. For traditional print media, these have always been called ‘press trips’, but blogger press trips have now evolved into multi-media campaigns covering photography, video, social and blog posts.

Q. How did you get into travel writing professionally? 

A. You can read the story of How I Got into Travel Blogging right here. It’s a pretty cool story. I recently wrote a ‘part 2′ career post, ‘How Travel Blogging Has Changed My Life‘. Make sure you read both for the full story.

Q. Do you earn money from your blog?

A. Yes, mostly by working directly with brands, as they pay me to create unique and native content on my blog that features their products or services. I would never feature a brand that I hadn’t experienced for myself and genuinely love. There are also different revenue streams for my blog through affiliate networks, advertising and consultancy. Read my post How To Make Money as a Travel Blogger to learn how I make money.

Q. Why did you choose to call your blog ‘The Travelista’ ?

A. I chose to call my blog The Travelista to reflect the persona of a glamorous and jet-setting female that other travel-loving ladies would aspire to be like.  It also injects new life into the overused term ‘fashionista’, suggesting that women can be just as savvy up about travel as they can fashion. I enjoy shopping as much as the next girl, but I’d take countries over clothes any day, which is why I am The Travelista.

Q. What are your top tips for getting into travel blogging?

A. I’ve got 10 top tips to offer people interested in setting up their own travel blog, but they also apply to all blogs in general too. I wrote about them here . I love to share blogging advice to aspiring bloggers, so make sure you browse through my Advice Posts

Q. Where have you travelled to recently and where are you going next?

A. In 2016 I took 38 flights, went on 13 trips and visited 15 countries. Read my Top 10 Travel Moments of 2016 here. My travel schedule for 2017 is as follows;

February – Amsterdam
March – Athens and Montgenevre
April – *TOP SECRET*
May – Puglia and South of France

Got a burning question I haven’t answered? Send me an email via the my Contact page