My 6 Week Adventure to Vietnam & The Philippines

After months of emails, meetings and planning, I am so excited to finally share the details of my upcoming adventure – and let me tell you – it’s a biggie! On the 6th September my boyfriend Scott and I are embarking on an epic 6-week adventure, travelling through Vietnam and The Philippines. Let me tell you all about it…

passport-gatwick-travel-blog-travelista

The Reason

Believe it or not, I’ve never been ‘travelling’. I know that sounds silly as I fly around the world frequently, but by ‘travelling’ I mean slower, deeper travel where you carry your life in a backpack and can be away for weeks, months, years at a time. The type of travel that really allows you to get under the skin of the city or country you’re in. Don’t worry, this isn’t a quarter life crisis. I’m not yearning to go and ‘find myself’, but I suppose I am yearning to travel on my own time, on my own path and with the person that I love. It will make such a difference to the fast-paced, jam packed whirlwind adventures that I am used to.

When I travel for the blog I often fall in love with destinations I visit, but I also feel frustrated as I only ever have time to scratch the surface of each place (travelling to the other side of the world for only 3-4 full days is pretty common for me). So I suppose I am craving the time to go somewhere and soak up the atmosphere, watch passers by, talk to locals and collect tonnes of authentic and genuine tips to bring back and share with you guys.

Whilst Scott and I are between flats (and Scott is between jobs), we figured it was the perfect time to make the most of our freedom. Scott has lived in Australia for a year, but this will be the longest I have ever been out of the UK.

The Partnership

As part of this trip I am going to be exclusively partnering with luxury travel giants Kuoni, to deliver a multi-destination content campaign. As part of the campaign, I’ll be staying at Six Senses Nin Vanh Bay in Vietnam and the Shangri La Borocay in The Philippines. Both resorts look beyond idyllic and I can’t wait to experience them both with Kuoni. As part of the campaign I’ll be delivering a mix of social media, blog post and video content, so I hope you all follow along!

The Route

I’ve spent a lot of time talking to people that know both Vietnam and The Philippines well and from a mish mash of recommendations we have decided on the following route. It’s not set in stone, but the route definitely has to include both of our Kuoni hotel destinations.

Fly into Hanoi > Halong Bay > Sapa > Hanoi > Hue > Drive down the Hai Van Pass > Hoi An > Nha Trang (Nin Vanh Bay Six Senses) > Ho Chi Minh > Fly to Manila, Philippines > Palawan / El Nido > Bohol > Siquijor > Cebu >Boracay (Shangri La Borocay) >Fly to UK

The Favour

So now it’s time to turn the tables! I hope I’ve given you some helpful travel advice over the years, but now I want your tips. What are the must see sights in each place? Do you have any great boutique hostel recommendations? If you’ve ever been to any of the places listed in route, or even Vietnam and The Philippines in general, please comment on this post and let me know!

I truly believe tried and tested recommendations are the best way to experience a place authentically, so I will be writing all your tips down and taking them with me. I hope you enjoyed this post and thank you in advance for your help! Jess x

Share:

19 Comments

1. 13th September 2016 / 11:05 am

If you like old ruins – the My Son temple is worth a visit. It’s what our whole trip to Vietnam was built around (My Dad: “I want to take My Son to My Son” haha). Plenty of day trip options from Hoi An to get there. We did a sunrise bus then a boat back to Hoi An. Also the Thuan Tinh Island was one of the best things we did in all of Vietnam – well worth it and can see why it was no.1 on TripAdvisor when we looked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z19_zGQHvc

2. 6th September 2016 / 4:51 am

Hi Jess, hope you will enjoy this amazing part of the world! by the way the 2 Six Senses in Vietnam are really gorgeous, for sure you will like Nin Vanh Bay!!

3. 4th September 2016 / 10:55 pm

This trip is the dream! I can’t wait to see all of your posts about your travels! The Philippines is number one on my list!

(My blog is Wanderlustbee.com if you want to check it out)
    Xx

4. 2nd September 2016 / 12:11 pm

I am so excited for you! I have always wanted to visit both places, so I cannot wait to read and hear more about your amazing adventures. Best of luck and stay safe! xx

5. 30th August 2016 / 9:48 pm

The Philippines is awesome! In Cebu, my favorite activity was canyoneering at Badian (Kawasan Falls). In Hoi An, we loved our homestay at Sac Lo – wonderful host and great atmosphere for meeting other guests!

6. 29th August 2016 / 6:51 pm

Oh my god! I am so excited for you!

I’ve never been to Palawan but El Nido is definitely a must see. El Nido Resorts is a prime choice for celebrities and people looking for relaxation. As Ive seen from friends island hopping/kayaking/snorkelling is the best activity to enjoy the clear waters and colorful marine life.

Chocolate hills in Bohol is a must see and Amorita Resort is a great boutique hotel, so is South Palms and a lot more. haha! sorry if Im not helping. There are so many nice resorts especially in Panglao Beach.

I’ve been to Cebu a few times and outside the city boasts so many adventures and beautiful beaches. Swimming with the whalesharks in Oslob was my favorite adventure. You can also go canyoneering in Kawasan Falls or beach bum at Mactan beach, you might wanna check out Plantation Bay/Shangri La Mactan/Crimson Hotel in Cebu. Bantayan Island is a beautiful beach that’s an uprising destination in Cebu. If you want an excellent dive head on to Moalboal. All are located few hours drive from Cebu City. I cant wait for your future posts!!

Love from PH <3

7. 29th August 2016 / 12:44 pm

I am so excited for you! Vietnam is on my list. I can’t wait to see your photos and read about your adventures!

• Jessica
      29th August 2016 / 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the travel love and support Hannah! 🙂 X

• Jessica
      29th August 2016 / 10:11 pm

Hey Char! Thank you for your sweet comment. There should be beautiful content coming your way xx

8. zakkiyah
    26th August 2016 / 7:38 pm

Vietnam is an amaazing adventure. I did the Dragon Legend Cruise that goes through Bay-tu-long Bay. Less crowded than Halong Bay. Absolutely loved it: Kayaking, squid fishing, cave dinner, cooking class on board. Cant wait to read about your trip Enjoy

• Jessica
      28th August 2016 / 7:41 pm

Thanks so much Zakkiyah this is really helpful! Will check out Dragon Legend Cruise. Would love to try a cooking class. Will all be on the blog soon 🙂

9. 26th August 2016 / 2:38 pm

Have a nice trip! I can’t wait to read about all your adventures in Vietnam and The Philippines. Unfortunately, I have never been to these countries and can’t give you any tips and recommendations, but I’ sure I’ll be using yours once I get a chance to go there.

• Jessica
      28th August 2016 / 7:40 pm

Thanks Zhanna! No problem at all, I’ll be sure to bring plenty of tips back with me and share them on the blog. Happy Travels xx

10. 26th August 2016 / 1:11 pm

Ahhh…I just stayed on one island in the Philippines and I’ve never been to Vietnam those the Six Senses is massively on my wish list! So I’m not much help but just wanted to say good luck and I can’t wait to read all about it!!

• Jessica
      29th August 2016 / 10:08 pm

Aw thanks for your kind comment Angie. I’m so excited! And definitely can’t wait to check out the Six Senses in Vietnam. I’m sure it will be a highlight xx

11. 26th August 2016 / 1:09 pm

Great trip been there on both, see the island of the philippines or makati and vietnam se Nan Trang beach as well as the cities. Enjoy it.

• Jessica
      28th August 2016 / 7:39 pm

Thanks for the tips Pedmar! Will check out Makati and we are going via Nah Trang to the Six Senses X